What is it?
National Nutrition Month started in 1973, and was only a week long. It was officially launched in 1980. Today, it is an annual educational campaign held by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This movement concentrates on making healthy eating and physical fitness viable choices.
“Go Further with Food” is the theme for 2018. The foods you choose to eat each day greatly affect your health and your environment. The Academy of Nutrition wants to educate you on how to live a healthy lifestyle. From breaking poor eating habits, how to choose the right foods for you, where to purchase healthy foods, and the importance of conserving natural resources.
Healthy Nutritional Tips from The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Include a variety of healthful foods from all of the food groups on a regular basis.
- Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more at the store.
- Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days and plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
- Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you.
- Continue to use good food safety practices.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Realize the benefits of healthy eating by consulting with a registered dietitian or nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health needs
Upcoming Days to be Aware of:
- Registered Dietitian Day is March 14
- Diabetes Alert Day is March 27
Stay tuned all month long for nutrition and healthy lifestyle tips on our Facebook pages. Also check out the Academy of Nutrition website for additional tips on these topics.
You can also book an appointment with our registered dietitians! For more information call